Following these instructions prior to your procedure under oral (pill) sedation will ensure an optimal experience. Please also review the pre-operative instructions page in addition to the following oral sedation instructions:
- Arrange for a responsible adult escort to drive you to and from your appointment (Adult = over the age of 18)
- Take all oral (pill) sedation medications as directed by Dr. Shumaker.
- DO NOT DRIVE while taking oral sedation medications. Plan for NOT driving or operating machinery for 24 hours after any sedation procedure until you are fully recovered from the effects of the medications.
- Eat a normal breakfast or lunch on the day of your procedure. Diabetic patients take all your normal medications, if you use insulin administer it normally.
- Do NOT drink alcohol, or use any forms of tobacco, caffeine, recreational drugs during the time that you are taking the oral sedation medications and hold these items for 24 hours after your procedure.
- Take all medications you would normally take as directed for other medical reasons. Be sure Dr. Paris, Dr. Shumaker or Dr. Allen are aware of all medications you take including birth control pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamins and herbal supplements.
- Be sure to wear comfortable, open collared, loose waisted clothing to the surgery appointment.
- Please leave contact lenses out if you wear them.
- Prepare several cold packs such as small bags of frozen peas or wash cloths frozen in plastic baggies.
- Be aware that 30 minutes after the first meal following treatment you may again notice some sedative effects such as sleepiness, tiredness, or dizziness. Understand that this is often normal.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your procedure, do not hesitate to contact the office at 970-207-4061 prior to your procedure.