Our goal is to make your first appointment with us a friendly, welcoming, pleasant, and painless visit. Please allow approximately 90 minutes for your initial visit. If you have pain or an emergency situation, every attempt will be made to see you that day. For a detailed map of our practice locations please click here for the Contact Us/Office Map section.
We will complete an in-depth medical and dental health history and oral cancer screening. Depending on the nature of your problem and needs we will conduct a thorough localized or overall examination. This allows us to measure for signs of periodontal or peri-implant disease such as inflammation, bone loss, gingival recession, loose teeth, and bite problems, as well as evaluate any potential dental implant site for missing tooth replacement. There is no need to be nervous about your initial exam unless you request it we generally will not do any procedures on your first visit. Prior to treatment Dr. Shumaker or Dr. Allen will consult with you about your diagnosis and treatment plan to ensure you fully understand what is recommended. Additionally, the front desk team will discuss treatment costs, insurance coverage, and scheduling prior to beginning treatment. It is our goal to make sure you have every opportunity to ask questions and understand your treatment needs.
Please assist us at the time of your initial visit to the office by providing the following information:
- Your referral slip and any x-rays from your referring dentist (Additional x-rays may be needed depending on your specific case)
- A list of medications you are currently taking
- Completed patient registration and medical history forms (You can fill out these forms online or download and print them from the “Online Forms” tab. If you are unable to fill them out online, we can mail them to you before your appointment if time allows.
- If you have dental insurance, please bring any forms or insurance cards with you to the appointment.
- If you should need to cancel and/or reschedule your appointment we kindly request a minimum of Three Business Days notice so your appointment spot can be offered to another patient. Cancellations with less than three business days’ notice may be assessed a cancellation fee.
- All patients under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the consultation appointment.
- While we always try to obtain current radiographs from your general dentists, a different type of additional X-rays or a CT scan may be needed depending on your specific case to allow Dr. Shumaker or Dr. Allen to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Our office has digital x-rays, digital panoramic x-rays, and a CT scanner in-house.
- If you pre-medicate with antibiotics for dental appointments please make sure to take your dose of antibiotics 1 hour prior to your appointment (including the initial exam). If you have questions about pre-medication please contact us prior to your appointment.