Following our pre-operative instructions will help make sure your procedure goes well and you experience trouble-free healing afterwards:
- Eat a normal breakfast or lunch on the day of surgery, unless directed to hold food/drink for an IV Sedation procedure.
- Take all medication you would normally take as directed for other medical reasons. Be sure Dr. Shumaker and Dr. Allen are aware of all medications you take; including Aspirin, Ibuprofen, vitamin and herbal supplements. If you are a diabetic undergoing an IV Sedation procedure, be advised that Dr. Shumaker will give you specific instructions regarding your diabetes medications. For procedures without IV sedation diabetic patients should follow their normal medication regimen.
- Be sure to wear comfortable, open-collared, loose waisted clothing to the surgery appointment.
- Please leave out contact lenses if you wear them.
- Prepare several cold packs at home by putting damp wash cloths in small plastic bags and freezing them, or have small bags of frozen peas available.
- If you are taking aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, or additional vitamin or herbal supplements, please advise Dr. Shumaker or Dr. Allen; you may need to discontinue them 7-10 days prior to your surgery.
- Diabetic patients, please ensure you eat a normal breakfast and take your normal medications or insulin on the day of your procedure unless directed otherwise by the doctors.
- Be prepared at home to eat a soft diet for 1-2 weeks after surgery. For suggestions for soft diet items see our Soft Diet Recipes page on our website.
- Patients undergoing procedures under Oral Sedation or IV Sedation please follow additional instructions given at your pre-operative consultation visit.
If you have questions, please ask our team at 970-207-4061 (Fort Collins) or 970-351-6166 (Greeley) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (Fort Collins), Greeley@nocoperio.com (Greeley).