Following our pre-anesthesia instructions for IV sedation will ensure an optimal experience with your procedure. Please also review the pre-operative instructions page in addition to the following IV sedation instructions:
- Take nothing by mouth for 8 hours before your appointment. Understand that you are allowed to have a small amount of clear liquids, such as water or clear juice, up to 3 hours before the appointment.
- Arrange for an escort (an adult/person over the age of 18) to drive you to and from your appointment. You cannot drive or operate machinery for 24 hours after an IV sedation procedure.
- Take all prescription medications you normally take; hold all over the counter medications and herbal supplements on the day of your procedure.
- If you are DIABETIC please make sure you have specific directions from Dr. Shumaker.
- Wear comfortable loose-fitting and sleeveless clothing.
- Leave contact lenses out if you wear them
- Prepare several cold packs such as frozen peas or damp washcloths frozen in plastic bags.
- DO NOT DRIVE any vehicle or operate any other machine for 24 hours after your procedure until you are fully recovered from the effects of the anesthesia given to you.
- Inform Dr. Shumaker of ANY MEDICATIONS or DRUGS that you have taken in the past month including alcohol, cigarettes, recreational drugs, aspirin, birth control pills, or any other prescribed or over-the-counter medications.
- Do not take any sedatives or other pain medications for 24 hours after the procedure except for those prescribed by Dr. Shumaker.
- Do no drink any drinks that contain alcohol for at least 24 hours before and after treatment.
- Be aware that 30 minutes after the first meal following treatment you may again notice some sedative effects such as sleepiness, tiredness, or dizziness. Understand that this is entirely normal.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your procedure, do not hesitate to contact the office at 970-207-4061 prior to your procedure.