Many people are fearful of going to the dentist. While Dr. Shumaker strives to provide care in a comfortable and pain-free environment, he recognizes that some patient’s bad past experiences and fears cannot always be dispelled.
Fortunately, as an office well-trained and equipped in sedation dentistry, we offer several anesthetic options in our office to make your visit pleasant and smooth:
- Traditional local anesthetic: Dr. Shumaker prides himself on his local anesthetic techniques which provide profound and predictable numbness using the latest local anesthetics. Our saying is we treat no gum before it’s numb!, so rest assured that your comfort is our primary goal.
- NuCalm: We are excited to offer this cutting edge, all-natural technique to help calm and relax you during your visit. NuCalm is a natural alternative to other relaxation methods. While NuCalm is not sedation, it inhibits your fight or flight response and allows to to stay relaxed and comfortable during your visit with no side effects. After a procedure with NuCalm you can drive, go back to work, and feel completely normal having just experienced a great dental visit. Check it out at www.NuCalm.com
- Nitrous Oxide (anxiolysis): Dr. Shumaker's team offer nitrous oxide for procedures to reduce anxiety and make your visit less stressful.
- Oral sedation (anxiolysis): Dr. Shumaker can prescribe an oral medication (pill) to be taken before your appointment to reduce anxiety and create a state of calm. This safe and effective technique provides light sedation for those who desire it. When using this technique the patient cannot drive a car and must have an escort bring them to and from the procedure. Normal diet and medications can be maintained.
- IV sedation: Dr. Shumaker is trained and certified to provide intravenous conscious sedation to produce a calm and anxiety-free state for the most fearful patients. This safe and effective procedure involves starting an IV in your arm, giving medications to make you groggy and sleepy so you can have your procedure completed without anxiety. When using this technique the patient cannot drive a car and must have an escort bring them to and from the procedure. Patients may not eat or drink 6-8 hours prior to the procedure and certain medications may need to be held. Dr. Shumaker will discuss the details for your specific case at your consultation appointment.
Whatever option you choose, rest assured that Dr. Shumaker want your visit to be positive and pain free. For more information contact Dr. Shumaker's office at 970-207-4061, or ask your general dentist for a referral.