Dr. Nicholas Shumaker grew up in Northern Colorado and is a graduate of Fort Collins High School. After attending Creighton University, he graduated with honors from the University of Colorado School of Dentistry in 2001 and was commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy Dental Corps. Dr. Shumaker provided 10 years of active duty service which included duty stations throughout the world.
Before becoming a Periodontist, Dr. Shumaker practiced general dentistry for four years, including completion of a one-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry residency (AEGD).
In 2008, Dr. Shumaker completed a 3-year residency in Periodontics and Dental Implant Surgery at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland. He earned his board certification in Periodontology that same year. Finishing his patriotic service to our country at Quantico, Virginia he then moved his family and practice back home to Northern Colorado in 2011.
Dr. Shumaker is a board-certified Diplomate of the American Board of Peridontology, a distinction shared by less than one half of his peers. Additionally, he is also a board-certified Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists and holds a postgraduate Masters degree in oral biology from The George Washington University. He has published several articles in the field of periodontics in peer reviewed journals and has been honored to be repeatedly named one of Colorado’s Top Dentists by 5280 Magazine.
Dr. Shumaker enjoys spending time with his wife and trying to keep up with his two children. As a lifelong "car guy" he also spends some of his spare time chasing classic cars and driving in closed-track road course sports car events. He enjoys mountain biking, hiking and skiing with his family as well. Dr. Shumaker is passionate about practicing as a periodontist and is constantly attending (and often teaching) continuing education courses to stay current on the latest research and techniques. He strongly believes that oral health is an important component in overall health, and strives to provide compassionate and comfortable care to his patients.
Awards and Honors:
- Board Certified Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- Board Certified Diplomate, International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- President, Larimer County Dental Society 2015-16, Vice president 2014-15, Secretary 2012-14.
- Board of Trustees, Colorado Dental Association 2015-2016
- Director, Mountain West Dental Forum Study Club, LLC 2011-present
- Director, Rocky Mountain Dental Hygiene Study Club, LLC 2011-present
- Clinical Adjunct Faculty, University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine 2011-present
- Peer-Reviewer, Journal of Periodontology and Clinical Advances in Periodontics 2009-2012
- Continuing Education Committee member, American Academy of Periodontology 2010-2011
- Clinical Adjunct Faculty, Naval Postgraduate Dental School, Bethesda, MD 2008-2011
- Excellence in Research Award from the International College of Dentists, 2008
- American Academy of Periodontology “Outstanding periodontics resident award” 2008
- During his service with the United States Navy, Dr. Shumaker received multiple medals, awards, and commendations
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Board of Periodontology
- North American Society of Periodontists
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Colorado Dental Association
- Larimer County Dental Society
- Weld County Dental Society
- Mountain West Dental Forum Study Club