Following our post-operative instructions will ensure optimal healing after your procedure and reduce the risk of complications. Below are general post-operative instructions, more specific instructions for the type of procedure you had performed will be given to you in writing on the day of your procedure.
Day of surgery
- Ice packs should be applied to your face over areas operated on, 10 on, 10 minutes off, to prevent pain and swelling. Good ice packs include small bags of frozen vegetables (such as frozen peas), or wet washcloths frozen in plastic bags.
- Melt ice chips in your mouth.
- Take your prescriptions.
- Antibiotic, take entire prescription as directed.
- Medication for pain to be taken when required for comfort. Do not drive, operate household or heavy machinery, or sign legal documents when taking a narcotic.
- Medicated mouth rinse, to be used as directed.
- If you have a reaction to any medications prescribed, discontinue use and contact Dr. Shumaker immediately.
After packing Falls off
- Salt water rinse (1/2 teaspoon of salt in glass of warm water), 2 x a day.
- Brush and floss as you normally do, avoiding surgical site and areas with packing material.
- Pink material protecting wound (may discolor).
- Packing needs to stay on 2-3 days. It will fall off on its own. It is ok if it stays on longer.
- Never remove the packing yourself, (unless visibly loose).
- If packing falls off before 2-3 days, call us to have it replaced.
- The surgery site may ooze for several hours after procedure.
- If bleeding is excessive soak a black tea bag (Lipton) with cold water and apply pressure to the area for 45-60 minutes.
- If bleeding persists, contact Dr. Shumaker.
Sinus Precautions (If you had sinus procedures)
- No nose blowing for two weeks
- DO NOT hold a sneeze in (open your mouth when you sneeze)
- Take all medications as prescribed by Dr. Shumaker
- Avoid hard, crunchy foods, or biting straight into anything. No chips, popcorn or pizza.
- Stay on a soft diet for at least one week. Do not chew on the side where your surgery was performed.
- No smoking, using a straw, or drinking carbonated beverages for 3-4 days.
- Do not eat or drink hot foods the day of surgery.
- Soft foods include: Soups, pastas, ground meat, eggs, applesauce, milkshakes, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Jell-O, custard, pudding and cottage cheese. See our Soft Diet Recipes page on our website.